Mendel90 3D Printer
- Owner/Loaner: ENTS
- Make/Model: Mendel90
- Usability: WORKING
- Contact: User:Hov
- Where: Main Workroom
- Certification Needed: YES
- Hackable: NO
- Estimated Value: $600
Currently working with small issues. Interface is at http://members.ents.ca:5000
Who Can Certify You?
200mm by 200mm by 200mm build volume. The X and Y are actually a little less than that but the Z is actually about 208mm.
As long as the Slic3r settings match with the filament size temps the only other setting for the printer itself is the nozzle diameter. Current hot end is 0.4mm
When connecting to OctoPrint if the printer (the arduino) isn't connected to the RasPi then use:
- Port: /dev/ttyACM0
- Baudrate: 115200
- Print not sticking to bed
- Any Material
- If the base or first layer of a print is relatively small then using the brim setting in Slic3r might help. Turn it on if you're not using it or increase it's size if you already are. The brim setting is in mm and it's the distance from the print base it builds the brim out to. Depending on the print this could be relatively high (20 mm).
- Check the heated bed settings. ABS needs ~100C or perhaps even higher while PLA or PLA/HPA works best around 60C
- If you're printing in small layers (<.3mm) then check the first print layer setting in Slic3r. Set this to a higher value. The gcode will put down a thicker layer for only the first layer to help the print adhere to the bed.
- To adhere to glass well you need to use a "slurry" of ABS and Acetone. This puts a thin film of ABS on the glass when it dries and helps the print adhere. When the bed cools this will release and it's not a problem getting the print off the bed. There should be a small mason jar with the mixture in the printer cabinet.
- PLA or PLA/PHA (ColorFabb)
- Since there isn't a readily available solvent for PLA the adherence to the bed seems to be most affected by how clean the bed is. If there are any traces of ABS then clean the bed thoroughly with Acetone and then clean it again with isoproplyl. Any oils/dirt/dust/anything on the bed seems to affect the adherence a lot. PLA seems to adhere better than PLA/HPA but both work on the glass bed if you prepare it properly.
- Any Material
The firmware has been modified to make extruder 1 (of extruders 0 and 1) behave like extruder 0. There was a magic smoke event that cooked the current limiting resistor for the extruder 0 heater.
What Could it Use?
- Kyle will be working on a Bowden Tube based extruder to move the stepper and cold end off the X-Carriage
- A mounting system/brackets/case for the LCD screen
- A Cover/Case/Fan Mount for the electronics
- The X carriage is noisy. It's probably because the linear rods are slightly smaller than the bearings. 8mm rods should be swapped in.
- Mounting system for the RasPi and USB Hub
- Carrying Handle
- Replacement of the resistor for extruder 0 (I think it's a 0805 smd but no idea on the resistance).
If you're willing to tackle any of these please let someone know.
Working on it
- User:khawkings - Bowden Tube extruder
If the hot end stops making itself hot then unplug and plug back in the connectors for the hot end on the x-carriage (the 4 pin connectors to the protoboards)
- File:Mendel90.zip Slic3r configuration file
- File:Mendel90STL.zip STL's for all the printed parts. Includes a modified bar clamp for a different end stop. This file should be modified slightly by Kyle (he has the modeling source). If there is a filename with "fixed" in its title then use it since it was repaired with NetFabb.